Whether you are updating an older home, planning an addition to an existing home or designing your dream home, siding can offer a number of benefits. If you live in the Greater Bangor area, Waterville, Farmington, Millinocket, Dover-Foxcroft or Mount Desert, CJG Contractors is here to help you take advantage of those benefits.
- Curb Appeal: Siding can make your home more attractive. Whether you are replacing the trim on a brick home or completely updating the look of a frame house, siding offers you a variety of ways to make the exterior more appealing. Siding is manufactured in an extensive range of colors and styles, allowing you to choose your favorite shades and patterns.
- Durability: Professionally installed siding can last for decades without losing its beauty. It will withstand wind, rain and sun year after year. Furthermore, most types of siding require little or no maintenance. For example, maintaining vinyl siding typically requires nothing more than an occasional squirt from your garden hose to dislodge any dirt or debris that might be clinging to it.
- Energy Savings: During a siding installation, you have the opportunity to make your home more energy efficient by having additional insulation installed beneath the siding. Some types of siding are manufactured to incorporate the additional insulation as part of the siding.
- Home Value: Although the market conditions for real estate can be subject to frequent changes, historically, siding has increased the value of any home. Real estate professionals report that when a home with siding is compared to an equivalent one without it, the difference in selling price is often as much as (or greater than) the cost of the siding.
Types of Siding
Manufacturers produce different types of siding, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks. Let CJG Contractors help you pick the siding that’s best for your home.
- Vinyl Siding: Chosen by most homeowners for both trim on a brick home and full-house replacement. It is virtually always the most economical choice, offers excellent durability and strength, never needs painting and is available in an extensive range of colors.
- Fiber-cement Siding: Relatively new, fiber-cement siding is essentially cement board that is made to resemble either wood siding or traditional vinyl siding. Most fiber-cement siding comes with a 50-year manufacturer’s warranty. However, it is heavy and requires special tools and installation techniques.
- Aluminum Siding: One of the oldest forms of siding, but it remains a popular choice. Aluminum siding is strong and durable, but it can be dented by sharp blows, such as large hailstones. It will typically require periodic painting to keep it looking its best. However, vinyl-covered aluminum siding can mitigate these issues although it is more costly.
- Other Siding Options: Wood, stucco, synthetic stone and engineered wood siding are also available. These options are not among the most popular; they are significantly more expensive, and some types require regular maintenance or are limited to use on just certain areas of the house.
The Importance of Professional Installation
- Siding plays a critical role in the protection of your home’s interior. Water penetration can rot your wood wall supports, damage your sheetrock or provide an ideal location for mold to thrive. Improperly installed siding can leave cracks that allow water to reach the areas that you are trying to protect.
- Not all types of siding are suitable for all exteriors and all climates. A siding professional can advise which types are best for your home and your goals.
- Some types of siding can be applied directly over existing materials, but others require the removal of old siding materials. Even if a siding is selected that normally permits direct application, the condition of the existing siding may make such an application unadvisable. Siding professionals know how to determine whether removal is required.
- Siding can be difficult to install. For example, aluminum siding can be creased during installation unless handled correctly. Siding professionals know how to install each type of siding in the safest, most efficient manner.
Where We Work
While CJG Contractor’s main office is located in Bangor, our team of professionals has more than 25 years of experience working throughout Maine. We service many locations across the state, including: Waterville, Farmington, Millinocket, Dover-Foxcroft, Mount Desert and, of course, the Greater Bangor area.