Why should a professional install or repair windows and doors? Installing, replacing or repairing a door or window is not a simple task, even for the most skilled handyman. Such complex activities require special tools, complete precision and proper training before they are attempted.
Improperly placed or repaired windows and doors often become uneven. In addition to looking lopsided, an improper installation can leave a home or business exposed to the elements. With Maine’s unpredictable and often severe weather, exposure to the elements can be costly and damaging. Don’t take that risk when CJG Contractors will install new doors or windows for any home or business in Waterville, Farmington, Millinocket, Dover-Foxcroft, Mount Desert or the Greater Bangor area.
What makes the replacement of doors and windows so difficult?
Unlike the initial installation of doors and windows, replacement options must be correctly and expertly fitted for an existing frame built for a different piece. Therefore, the process for replacing a door or window requires several steps:
- Removing the original door or window carefully, so as not to damage the frame
- Cleaning and prepping the frame for the new unit
- Checking the new window or door fits on a level
- Setting and securing the replacement unit
- Completing the process by paneling, caulking or trimming the opening
When should windows and doors be replaced rather than repaired?
It can be a difficult decision whether to repair or replace windows and doors that are showing age and wear. Let CJG Contractors help you decide when it’s time.
When to repair windows and doors:
- Rotting wood on frames and sashes that is spotty and not complete
- Broken or scratched vintage windows
- Broken seals with foggy condensation between panes
- Windows and doors that do not operate smoothly
- Drafty windows with loose caulk or weather stripping
- When to replace windows and doors:
- Rotting wood that has completely damaged the frame
- Broken or scratched vinyl windows that are inexpensive
- Windows and doors with replacement parts that cost more than the unit itself
Why should new windows and doors be considered?
There are a number of reasons that it may become necessary to replace a window or door. One of the most common reasons is damage to the original units, but another frequent cause is simply searching for a new look for the building. In fact, one of the easiest ways to completely transform a building is to replace old windows and doors with newer and more modern options. Windows and doors are also replaced to provide more energy-efficient options that will help keep the building warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. This change can significantly lower the operation costs associated with the building, if the installation is done properly by a professional. So have one of our experienced technicians here at CJG Contractors make sure your installation is done right the first time.
What are some types of windows and doors can be installed or repaired?
Our expert team can complete professional installations for a wide variety of window types, including:
- Sun room windows
- Storm windows
- Sliding windows
- Bay windows
- Bow windows
- Double-hung windows
- Awnings and canopies
We also install a number of types of exterior doors that should be properly handled by a professional. These can be made from a variety of materials, such as steel, wood and fiberglass:
- Entry doors
- Hinged patio doors
- Sliding patio doors
- Storm doors
- Custom doors specially fitted to the building
Additionally, we will locate, install and repair custom products for specialty projects or in order to match existing units in the building.